Spring is just around the corner, which means that it’s that time of the year when we all feel the urge to organize and get rid of what no longer serves us or brings us joy.
By now, you have probably been reading around the Internet, magazines, or books about popular spring cleaning tips. Tips like donating the clothes that you haven’t use in the past year, organizing your closet by colors, putting away your winter clothes, etc. are everywhere, but that’s not what this post is about.
Today I want to invite you to do a different type of spring cleaning—one that will bring you happiness that will fill your heart with gratitude and that will have a positive impact on those around you:
1. Get rid of negative thoughts: having a negative output about most things that happen around you is not going to make them disappear. Remember, “life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” (Charles, R. Swindoll) When you’re going through tough times, take a second to pause, take a deep breath, and count your blessings
2. Take out of your life people who bring you down: we already have too many things to deal with in our everyday lives to be worrying about the negative energy of the people we may be surrounding ourselves with. You have the power to choose the people around you. Surround yourself with confident and positive people that challenge you to be better every day and that bring out the best in you.
3. Stop worrying: if you can’t do anything about it, it is not worth your time; if you can do something about it, stop worrying and start acting. I know this is easier said than done!
4. Choose to be happy: you don’t know when will be your last day on earth. Make the right choices and keep in mind that “happiness is a journey, not a destination.” (Ben Sweetland)
5. Don’t complain: complaining, criticizing, and gossiping is just going to give you a bad reputation, and you don’t want to have a bad reputation, right?
Live one day at a time. We are all imperfect, and that’s where our beauty lies. Embrace change and keep your head up!