Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial first weekend of the summer. You can be sure the weather will be warm, the days will be longer and it’s a perfect opportunity to fire up that grill for the first time. Grilling is often thought of as a special skill needing lots of practice to make perfect. For this reason, some people find it quite intimidating. Whether you are a seasoned expert or still a novice, following these simple rules and tips for grilling will ensure a perfect burger every time. So call up your friends, heat up the grill and get ready to enjoy some outdoor fun!
- First and most importantly season your meat very well with salt and pepper just before putting it on the grill, this is crucial for flavorful burgers.
- Use a fattier beef like 85/15; it will result in much juicier burgers.
- Make the patties about ¾-1 inch thick, use about ¼-1/3 pounds of meat and make them larger than you think, they will shrink while they cook.
- Make a small indentation in the center of the patty with your thumb to prevent swelling and promote even cooking.
- If you like, add seasonings like dried herbs, minced onion or garlic, and sauces such as BBQ or Worcestershire for extra flavor, but don’t over mix the meat, it will become dense.
- Be sure the grill is hot when you add the burgers, and oil the grill grates to prevent sticking.
- Grill with the lid closed, it traps the heat and the burgers will cook better.
- Flip the burgers only once!! This will allow a nice flavorful crust to form on the outside, playing with them too much causes the burgers to release juices and dry out.
- Never push the burgers down with your spatula, doing so will cause the patties to release their juices and result in a dry burger.
- Always grill or toast your buns, a crunchy bun is the perfect accompaniment to a juicy burger.
- If adding cheese do so at the last minute or 2 of grilling.
- Don’t forget the toppings, set out grilled or raw onions, lettuce, tomato, bacon and plenty of condiments such as ketchup, mustard, mayo, BBQ sauce, and pickles or relish.
Wow your friends and family this Memorial Day with delicious burgers hot off the grill!