Breakfast is my favorite meal. For some reason I’ve always loved the smell of fresh brewed coffee and toast—it’s hard to resist!
Studies have shown that this is the most important meal of the day, and it makes sense. When you wake up, your body has been fasting for 10-12 hours, so it needs that extra push to start the day energized in order to perform all the daily activities at its best. Technically, we should wake up a little bit hungry every day because our dinners should be light in order to maintain a healthy weight. If you over did it the night before and don’t feel hungry in the morning, try to at least have some fruit to clean your digestive system.
So yes, eating breakfast is important, but the quality of this meal is what can really make or break your day. If you start the day with something heavy and greasy, like waffles with whipped cream and bacon, you are only going to feel sluggish and will probably want to get back in bed.
The quality of your breakfast needs to be high so you can really absorb all the nutrients from the food you are putting in your body and get fully energized to tackle the day.
Here are some ideas for a great healthy breakfast to start the day right:
– Seasonal fruit bowl with plain Greek or dairy-free yogurt and homemade granola (if you buy it at the grocery store, make sure it has 7 or less grams of sugar).
– Plain oatmeal made with unsweetened dairy-free milk and berries + 1 hard-boiled egg.
– Sprouted grain toast with ½ smashed avocado + 1 egg.
– Smoothie bowl made with frozen and fresh fruits, leafy greens, and unsweetened nut milk. You can also add a scoop of natural raw protein powder.
– A super smoothie made with 1 banana, 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk, 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter, and 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder.
It’s important that your breakfasts include sources of healthy carbs, protein, and healthy fats. I personally enjoy starting the day with a piece of fruit before making my actual breakfast. It helps to detoxify my body and makes me feel cleaner and ready to go.