A long, slow overnight rise makes this bread perfect for a weekend brunch. Mix up the dough the night before. The following morning, begin with step 5 to finish bread.
Servings: Makes 1 loaf and ½ cup butter
3 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and divided
½ cup milk
1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
3 eggs, divided
3¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon Very Vanilla Salt (recipe on page 61) or sea salt
1½ cups unsalted butter, softened and divided
1 tablespoon milk or water
2 tablespoons honey
1. Scrape seeds from 2 vanilla beans into milk; heat to 110°. Add yeast; let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Lightly beat 2 eggs; stir into milk mixture.
2. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, stir together 3½ cups flour, sugar, and salt. Using the dough hook attachment, gradually add yeast mixture, beating at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
3. Cut 1 cup butter into small pieces; gradually add to dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until combined after each addition (dough will be quite sticky). If needed, gradually add just enough remaining flour to make a smooth, sticky dough.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
5. Divide dough into 6 equal portions, and form each into a 4½-inch cylinder. Arrange dough pieces crosswise in a 9x5-inch loaf pan; cover and let rise 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together remaining egg and 1 tablespoon milk or water. Lightly brush over dough.
7. Bake bread for 25 minutes. Tent bread loosely with aluminum foil, and rotate in oven. Bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
8. In a medium bowl, combine honey and remaining ½ cup butter. Scrape seeds from remaining vanilla bean into butter mixture. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until well combined and fluffy. Serve with brioche.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!