Servings: Makes 8 to 10 servings
1¼ cups warm water (105˚ to 115˚)
1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 heads garlic
2 cups grated Asiago cheese
Garnish: thinly sliced basil
1. In a small bowl, combine 1¼ cups warm water, yeast, and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt. Pulse several times to combine. With processor running, slowly add yeast mixture and oil; process until dough forms a ball.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover, and let rise in a warm place (85˚), free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat oven to 400˚. Cut ½ inch off pointed ends of garlic, keeping cloves intact. Place garlic, cut ends up, on aluminum foil. Wrap garlic in foil, and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until softened. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic pulp into a small bowl. Mash garlic with a fork. Set aside.
5. Punch dough down, and let rest for 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450˚. Lightly spray 2 (15-inch) pizza stones or baking sheets with cooking spray; sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 2 (12-inch) circles. Place dough rounds on pizza stones. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, make indentations at 1-inch intervals in top of dough. Spread roasted garlic evenly over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
Garnish with basil, if desired.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!