Servings: Makes 2 servings
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 cups vegetable broth
1 ham hock
6 black peppercorns
4 sprigs thyme
2 (7-ounce) red snapper fillets
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup rice, cooked and kept warm
1. In a large stockpot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add broth, ham hock, peppercorns, and thyme; bring to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
2. Strain mixture, discarding solids. Pour the liquid into a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until reduced by half, about 12 minutes; set aside.
3. Sprinkle fish fillets evenly with salt and peppers.
4. In a large skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add fish, and cook for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Add reserved sauce, and simmer for 3 minutes; remove fish from pan, and keep warm. Add green onion to the pan, and continue simmering for 2 minutes longer.
4. Place fish over rice, and spoon sauce over fish. Serve immediately.
Note: If red snapper is not available, substitute tilapia.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!