Servings: Makes 2 servings
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 cups vegetable broth
1 ham hock
6 black peppercorns
4 sprigs thyme
2 (7-ounce) red snapper fillets
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup rice, cooked and kept warm
1. In a large stockpot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add broth, ham hock, peppercorns, and thyme; bring to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
2. Strain mixture, discarding solids. Pour the liquid into a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until reduced by half, about 12 minutes; set aside.
3. Sprinkle fish fillets evenly with salt and peppers.
4. In a large skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add fish, and cook for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Add reserved sauce, and simmer for 3 minutes; remove fish from pan, and keep warm. Add green onion to the pan, and continue simmering for 2 minutes longer.
4. Place fish over rice, and spoon sauce over fish. Serve immediately.
Note: If red snapper is not available, substitute tilapia.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!