Servings: Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Aluminum foil-wrapped brick
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
1. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Using kitchen shears, cut chicken along both sides of backbone; discard backbone. Using heels of both hands, press chicken down until flattened.
2. In a 13x9-inch baking dish, combine vinegar and next 5 ingredients. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Spray grill rack with nonstick nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
4. Place chicken on grill rack, and top with an aluminum foil-wrapped brick. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, for 15 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer registers 165°, replacing brick after turning.
5. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth and next 3 ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with chicken. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!