Savannah’s Sweet Squares
Abercorn and Wayne Streets
Calhoun Square was designed in 1851 and named in honor of John C. Calhoun. Calhoun was a South Carolina statesman and Vice President under John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson. Calhoun Square is the only square where all of the original historic buildings remain.
Toffee Brownies - Back to the map
Barnard and Wayne Streets
Chatham Square was designed in 1847 and named in honor of William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham. Pitt was an early supporter of the colony and though he never visited Savannah, Chatham County and Chatham Square were named in his honor.
Caramelized Brownies - Back to the map
Bull and McDonough Streets
Chippewa Square was designed in 1815 and named to commemorate the Battle of Chippewa in the War of 1812. In the center stands a bronze statue of the colony’s founder, General James Edward Oglethorpe, who faces south protecting Savannah from the Spanish in Florida.
Also know as Forrest Gump Square, the bus stop scenes from the Oscar winning motion picture were filmed on the north end of the square.
Old Time Chocolate Fudge - Back to the map
Habersham and Presidents Streets
Columbia Square was designed in 1799 and named “Columbia,” the female personification of the United States of America. In the center sits a fountain from the Wormsloe Plantation, an early Savannah settlement.
Lemon Bar - Back to the map
Houston and McDonough Streets
Crawford Square was designed in 1841 and named in honor of William Harrison Crawford, Minister of France during the reign of Napoleon. Crawford was said to be the only foreign politician with any influence over Napoleon.
Brown Sugar Chewies - Back to the map
Lost to urban sprawl, Elbert Square was designed out in 1801 between Montgomery and McDonough streets. It was named in honor of Samuel Elbert, a Revolutionary War hero and Georgia Governor.
Peanut Butter Cheese Fudge - Back to the map
Ellis Square: Re-opening 2010
Bryan and Barnard Street
Once lost to urban sprawl, the old city square is being restored thanks to a public/private partnership by the City of Savannah and area developers. The restored square will feature underground parking, retail centers and hotels. The City hopes to have restorative effors complete by 2010. Ellis Square was designed in 1733 and was named in honor of Henry Ellis, the second Royal Governor. It was here that the “Old City Market” was located and merchants sold crops and wares.
Wilmington Island Marsh Mud Cake - Back to the map
Montgomery Street and St. Julian Streets
Franklin Square was designed in 1791 and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, for many years the square was the site of the city’s water tower and was referred to as “water tower square.”
Glazed Honey Bars - Back to the map
Houston and Presidents Streets
Greene Square was designed in 1799 to honor General Nathanael Greene, a Revolutionary War hero who fought against the British in Savannah.
Rice Candy Corn Treats - Back to the map
Bull and St. Julian Streets
Johnson Square was designed in 1733 and named for Robert Johnson, the Royal Governor of South Carolina when Georgia was founded. Johnson Square was the first of Savannah’s 24 squares and served as its commercial hub. In the center stands a monument of General Nathanael Greene, a Revolutionary War hero and Savannah patriot.
Clouds and Sunshine Squares - Back to the map
Abercorn and Macon Streets
Lafayette Square was designed in 1873 to honor the Marquis de Lafayette, who aided the Americans during the Revolutionary War. In the center sits a fountain dedicated by the Colonial Dames of America.
Chocolate Cheese Fudge - Back to the map
Lost to urban sprawl, Liberty Square was designed in 1799 between Montgomery and Presidents Streets and named to honor Savannah patriots, the “Liberty Boys.” The Liberty Boys were instrumental in setting the stage for Georgia’s involvement in the American Revolution.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad - Back to the map
Bull and Macon Streets
Madison Square was designed in 1837 and named to honor James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. In the center stands a monument of Sergeant William Jasper who fell during the Siege of Savannah in 1779. A granite marker denotes the southern line of the British defense during the 1779 battle.
Sweet Dreams Chocolate Fudge Candy - Back to the map
Bull and Wayne Streets
Monterey Square was designed in 1847 and was named to commemorate the 1846 Battle of Monterey during the Mexican American War. It was the battle of the Mexican War in which a Savannah unit of the Irish Jasper Greens fought. The square’s monument honors Casimir Pulaski, a Polish nobleman who was mortally wounded during the Siege of Savannah while fighting for Americans.
Elvis Gooey Butter Cake - Back to the map
Abercorn and Presidents Streets
Oglethorpe Square was designed in 1742 in honor of James Edward Oglethorpe, the founder of Savannah, Georgia’s First City. In the center sits a marker to the Moravians who arrived in Savannah in 1735 from the current day Czech Republic.
Candy Snack Cake - Back to the map
Barnard and McDonough Streets
Orleans Square was designed in 1815 in honor of the heroes of the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. The fountain in the square was dedicated in 1989 by Savannah’s German Society to recognize the contributions of Savannah’s early German immigrants.
Five Layer Bar - Back to the map
Barnard and Macon Streets
Pulaski Square was designed in 1837 and named in honor of Count Casimir Pulaski of Poland, the highest ranking foreign officer to die in the American Revolution. Pulaski fell during the Siege of Savannah in 1779.
Pumpkin Bar - Back to the map
Abercorn and St. Julian Streets
Reynolds Square was designed in 1733 and named for Georgia’s first Royal Governor, John Reynolds. In the center stands a monument to Reynolds, the founder of Methodism and the Anglican minister to the colony in 1736.
Orange Citrus Bar - Back to the map
Barnard and President Streets
Telfair Square was designed in 1733 as St. James Square; and it was renamed in 1883 to honor Edward Telfair a three-time governor of Georgia and patron to the arts.
Pecan Squares - Back to the map
Habersham and McDonough Streets
Troup Square was designed in 1851 and named in honor of George Michael Troup, a Senator and Governor of Georgia. In the center stands the Armillary Sphere a astronomical device designed to show the relationship among the celestial circles.
Pear Crisp - Back to the map
Habersham and St. Julian Streets
Warren Square was designed in 1791 and named in honor of General Joseph Warren who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill during the Revolutionary War.
creme de Menthe Brownies - Back to the map
Houston and St. Julian Streets
Washington Square was designed in 1790 and named to honor George Washington, the first President of the United States. Some of the oldest houses in Savannah reside on this square.
Gooey Toffee Butter Cake - Back to the map
Habersham and Wayne Streets
Whitfield Square was designed in 1851 and was the last of the Savannah squares. Named to honor Reverend George Whitfield, founder of the Bethesda Orphanage, the oldest orphanage in the United States. A gazebo sits in the center and Victorian architecture is prominent in this area.
Banana Split Cake - Back to the map
Bull and President Street
Wright Square was designed in 1733 and named for Sir James Wright, Georgia’s third and last colonial governor. The monument in the square honors William Washington Gordon, an early mayor of Savannah who established the Central of Georgia Railroad. The large boulder marks the grave of Tomochichi, the Yamacraw Indian Chief who welcomed General Oglethorpe and the first colonists.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bar - Back to the map