Everyone expects to see cranberry sauce and turkey at the Thanksgiving meal, but won’t they be surprised to find it back on the table for dessert? Before you balk at the idea of turkey in a dessert, consider other savory and sweet combinations that work: honey-glazed ham, duck with cherry sauce, and bacon with just about anything.
These cupcakes are baked directly in slices of turkey – no cupcake liners are needed! When baked, the turkey slices get hard and chewy and become a perfect shell for the small cakes. The cupcakes themselves are loaded with cranberries and they are topped with a decadent maple buttercream frosting. For extra maple flavor and an elegant look, the cupcakes may be dusted with maple sugar.
Turkey Cranberry Cupcakes
Makes about 18 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup plain yogurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cranberry sauce
1 cup dried cranberries
18 thinly sliced pieces of turkey
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Beat eggs, yogurt, and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
5. Mix in cranberry sauce.
6. Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
7. Fold in dried cranberries
8. Place one slice of turkey in each well of the cupcake tin. Often, turkey slices will have small holes in them; make sure that any holes in the slices are not at the bottom or sides of the cupcake tin.
9. Spoon batter into the turkey, as shown in the photo.
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you put this recipe into a normal cupcake liner sans turkey, it will bake in about 30 minutes.
Maple Buttercream Frosting
Note: Depending on how fat a swirl you want on your cupcakes, you may need to double this recipe.
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup maple syrup
1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in maple syrup
Stefani Pollack is the author of the popular cupcake blog, Cupcake Project. While she loves simple chocolate cupcakes, Stefani prefers creative cupcakes inspired by her favorite flavor combinations. She encourages her readers to branch out and experiment in the kitchen. Why cupcakes? They bring out the kid in us! Visit Stefani at www.cupcakeproject.com
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!