Everyone expects to see cranberry sauce and turkey at the Thanksgiving meal, but won’t they be surprised to find it back on the table for dessert? Before you balk at the idea of turkey in a dessert, consider other savory and sweet combinations that work: honey-glazed ham, duck with cherry sauce, and bacon with just about anything.
These cupcakes are baked directly in slices of turkey – no cupcake liners are needed! When baked, the turkey slices get hard and chewy and become a perfect shell for the small cakes. The cupcakes themselves are loaded with cranberries and they are topped with a decadent maple buttercream frosting. For extra maple flavor and an elegant look, the cupcakes may be dusted with maple sugar.
Turkey Cranberry Cupcakes
Makes about 18 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup plain yogurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cranberry sauce
1 cup dried cranberries
18 thinly sliced pieces of turkey
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Beat eggs, yogurt, and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
5. Mix in cranberry sauce.
6. Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
7. Fold in dried cranberries
8. Place one slice of turkey in each well of the cupcake tin. Often, turkey slices will have small holes in them; make sure that any holes in the slices are not at the bottom or sides of the cupcake tin.
9. Spoon batter into the turkey, as shown in the photo.
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you put this recipe into a normal cupcake liner sans turkey, it will bake in about 30 minutes.
Maple Buttercream Frosting
Note: Depending on how fat a swirl you want on your cupcakes, you may need to double this recipe.
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup maple syrup
1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in maple syrup
LOVE YOU GALD YOU'RE BACK
in Behind the Scenes with Paula: The Making of “Paula Deen’s Easy Southern Favorites” on February 27, 2014 at 6:31 am
Hi Mrs.Deen my name is Crawford Moore a person who has been trough a lot in life. No one wants to give me a chance to show my greatness. Because I am a felon. I was raised in a life of crime and has since changed. I am afraid because I can not get a job due to my past. I have five wonderful kids that I can't support due to this. And I have no other choice but to live wrong because no one wants to help for my changes. I have gotten myself an education and all. Need help... Sincerely Crawford Moore 224 321 7466
Crawford Moore in Guests Spots and Green Rooms on February 26, 2014 at 8:41 pm
YEA! I am so pleased that you are not letting the world chose your path. Southern women to southern women, were too strong for that. See ya and many prayers, Cynthia Scoggins
Cynthia Scoggins in My Little Miracles on February 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm