During the spring and summer months is when you see people out and about in their gardens, getting a head start on growing their own produce, or landscaping their yards with beautiful seasonal flowers and blossoms. When the fall finally comes around, though, the temperature drops and we tend to want to take our green thumbs indoors for the cooler weather.
In most fall décor, we see a plethora of red, orange, and yellow leaves strewn about, and plenty of gourds adorn table settings, bookshelves and entryways. But how can you add a little horticultural twist to the season?
I love succulents for a lot of reasons. They’re low-maintenance, so anyone can keep them. With the right care, they keep year round. And best of all? They’re stylish and super in-demand right now.
Never worked with succulents before? Here are some quick tips on care:
1. Watering. The good news about succulents is that they’re desert plants, so they require very little water, which makes them so easy to care for. Water indoor succulents sparingly, and make sure that the soil is dried out between watering.
2. Light. Again, because succulents are desert plants, they prefer lots of natural light wherever possible. Sit them near a window with plenty of sun, or an open room with lots of light.
3. Soil. In most plant stores or garden shops, you should be able to find a blend of soil that’s specialized for cacti and succulents. However, a coarse or gritty soil will work best. I’ve even used sand before. You want a soil that’s fast-draining that will prevent overwatering.
Now that you’ve got the 1, 2, 3’s of succulents, how can you decorate with them? Here are three simple ideas:
1. Centerpieces. Jazz up a festive fall table with a mixture of a colorful gourds and handsome succulents.
2. Coffee tables. Adorn your coffee table with an array of smaller succulent plants of fun and patterned pots.
3. Entryways. Find a bold and beautiful planting vessel, like an old galvanized bucket, or large stone pot, to fill with varying colors of succulents to greet guests (and trick-or-treaters!) at your doorstep this fall.Read More From Holidays and Entertaining.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!