Summer is upon us, and many families will be traveling. Vacations should be all about fun and relaxation, but getting to our destinations can be stressful.
Flying can be particularly exhausting. In my opinion, it is just not as pleasant as it used to be. Extra security measures, longer lines and flight delays add anxiety to the trip before it even gets started. This simple guide will hopefully help you be a kinder traveler and have more patience with the people around you.
1. Be prepared when you go through the security line. You know you will have to show your travel documents and remove some articles of clothing, so be ready.
2. Be respectful of airline personnel. Their job is to help you reach your destination as comfortably and safely as possible. They are not responsible for delays and cancellations. Listen while the flight attendant gives instructions.
3. If you do not want to talk with the person beside you, put on headphones or pull out a book to read. If he or she continues to talk to you, kindly explain that you are tired and need to rest. You could also try an old cliché: “Excuse me for not feeling chatty today, but I have a headache.”
4. Be kind to those around you. Do not talk loudly on a cell phone or to others seated close to you. If you want to recline your seat, do it slowly. Share the armrest.
5. Be patient with families traveling with children. If you have ever traveled with little ones, then you know how stressful it can be. Offer a smile or encouraging words.
6. Be prepared when YOU travel with children. Bring plenty of snacks. Coloring books, crayons or a small DVD player with movies (and head phones) are great activities for children during flights.
There are definitely times when you have legitimate complaints with travel services, but you should always remember that simple acts of kindness and good manners could really pay off!! If you handle the situation in a calm, respectful tone, you may receive a special reward, upgrade or the great feeling that you get when you stay in control and do not lose your patience.
This summer, make it a point to be a well-mannered traveler. Keep your cool and try to take others’ bad behavior with a grain of salt. Do not let the acts of others ruin your special vacation. I hope that you have a wonderful summer with family and friends.
As always, thanks for reading.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!