This Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of the day our whole world changed. Chances are, if you are reading this, you can recall the exact moment, sights, sounds, even smells, when you heard the news. What I remember most was the spirit of unity and the overwhelming desire to help others and find a way to heal.
In 2009, September 11th was designated a National Day of Service and Remembrance. Here are some budget-friendly and easy ways you can help others:
1. Share a cup of Joe. For many people, it’s a lifeline to get their day started. Show a co-worker, friend or your neighborhood crossing guard you appreciate them with a nice cup of coffee or gift card to your neighborhood coffee shop.
2. Volunteer as a family for one hour a week (or longer if you like). Volunteermatch.org lists volunteer opportunities in your area and those that permit children. Let your children pick where you volunteer then talk to them after about how they feel about the experience. Help them make the connection between their actions and the community.
3. Hold a food drive. Even one box of food can make a difference for a family. Pick specific items that are usually in low supply, like peanut butter, and collect as much as you can in a week. FeedingAmerica.org can help you locate food banks in your area.
4. Swap those old clothes. Times are tight, and moms are looking everywhere to save the household budgets. Share your old clothes with other moms who may need them for their families or themselves. Organize a clothing swap among your friends, neighborhood, church or school. Can’t find anyone locally? Join an online swap, where receivers just pay for shipping.
5. Cleanup the neighborhood. Take a walk with family or friends and pick up trash, weed eat, sweep, etc. to get the neighborhood looking good again. Offer to mow a yard for a neighbor who may be working extra shifts or a single mom who just can’t find the energy. Go a step further and help a neighbor with home repairs or get involved with a Rebuilding Together or Habitat for Humanity project.
It doesn’t take much to make an impact on your community, just the will to do something. Every single act has a ripple effect. Make your acts positive and honor the memories of those we lost ten years ago. Hug your families tight tonight, and may God bless the U.S.A.
Photo by Jennifer Spence PhotographyRead More From Blogs.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!