Feeling over whelmed with all of your leftovers and wondering what to do with all that food? Use these helpful tips to make the most of your holiday abundance.
First, be sure to buy proper storing containers and zip top baggies. These will be helpful for your own storing purposes and also for packing up leftovers for your guests to take home.
Freeze, freeze, and freeze! Freezing food is a perfect way to preserve your holiday leftovers. And , you will be so happy on a busy day down the road when you remember you have a ready to go meal in the freezer. Use these tips for keeping your frozen foods safe and fresh:
1. Be sure to freeze in airtight container or wrapping to prevent freezer burn. Zip top freezer bags are the best, and are sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible before sealing.
2. Cool food completely before freezing. Begin the cooling processes on the counter, and then finish it in the refrigerator before freezing. Do not leave food at room temp longer than 2 hours.
3. Freeze in small portions for quick defrost.
4. Freeze within 3 days of cooking.
5. Don’t keep frozen meats or gravy longer than 4 months
6. Re-heat frozen pie in a 350 degree oven while still frozen for about 20-25 minutes
7. Defrost food in the refrigerator, microwave or cold-water bath (in a sealed zip top bag). If using cold water bath change water every 30 minutes to keep it cold.
Make soups and stocks. Leftover turkey carcasses and vegetables make wonderful homemade stocks, which freeze well for a rainy day. Try one of these delicious soups to use up your leftover ham or turkey:
Yellow Squash and Ham Soup
Senate Bean Soup
Butter Bean Soup
Sweet Potato Date Soup
Make breakfast or lunch for all of your house guests. Everyone knows the leftover thanksgiving sandwich is almost better than the meal itself! Fill your friends and family up with one of these next-day recipes:
Turkey Cranberry Monte Cristo
Gobbler Cobbler Pie
Smashed Potato Pancakes
Hungry Brothers Biscuits
Donate! And lastly, remember those less fortunate in your community. Donate leftover canned food and non-perishable items to a food pantry in your area. Or, make up a plate of food and deliver it to an elderly person in your neighborhood.Read More From Holidays and Entertaining.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!