Looking for a fresh salad idea? Paula and Bobby Deen have it covered. These main-dish recipes and great salads offer a little bit of savory and sweet for any meal. You’ll want to try them all!
Makes 10–12 servings
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
4 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
4 cups seeded chopped cucumber
1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby peas, thawed
1/2 cup sliced green onion
2 cups sliced radishes
2 cups light sour cream
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1. In a large trifle dish, layer lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber.
2. In a medium bowl, combine peas and green onion, and layer on top of cucumber. Layer radishes over pea mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt, stirring until smooth. Spread evenly over radish layer, sealing edges. Top with cheese and bacon.
4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Black-Eyed Pea Greek Salad
Makes 6–8 servings
5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 seedless cucumber, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup frozen black-eyed peas, blanched
1/2 cup halved pitted kalamata olives
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette dressing
1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, corn, black-eyed peas, olives, and red onion. Add vinaigrette, tossing gently to combine. Cover and chill, or serve immediately.
Fresh Fruit Salad with Lime-Ginger Honey Dressing
Makes 24 servings
6 fresh kiwis, peeled and chopped
4 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
2 ripe fresh mangoes, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
Lime-Ginger Honey Dressing
Garnish: fresh mint
1. In a large bowl, combine kiwis, peaches, mangoes, pineapple, and strawberries. Pour Lime-Ginger Honey Dressing over fruit, tossing gently to combine. Spoon into serving dishes, and garnish with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: Mango, pineapple, and kiwi can be cut the night before serving. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Do not cut peaches and strawberries until right before serving. Leftover fruit is wonderful served on top of sliced of pound cake.
Lime-Ginger Honey Dressing
Makes 3/4 cup
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, honey, lime juice, and ginger. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Garden Pasta Salad
Makes 6 servings
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1/4 cup water
1/2 (16-ounce) package whole wheat spiral-shaped pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained, and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a shallow microwave-safe dish, combine asparagus and 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap, and peel back one corner to vent steam. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until asparagus are tender. Drain well, and let cool. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
3. Add asparagus, pasta, tomatoes, and remaining 3 ingredients to vinegar mixture. Toss until coated. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Content provided by Cooking With Paula Deen/Hoffman Media.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!