With summer winding down, parents and kids across the country are settling back into the school-day routine. During hectic mornings, breakfast can sometimes be forgotten, but it really is the most important meal of the day. Here are a few nutritious, filling options that can be prepared in advance or quickly assembled.
Cornmeal Breakfast Biscuits
Makes 1 dozen
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup cooked crumbled breakfast sausage
3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add eggs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until firm. Remove from heat; add sausage and next 4 ingredients, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is combined.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and cornmeal. Using a pastry blender, cut in remaining 1/2 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon about 2 tablespoons dough into each muffin cup, pressing dough into bottom and one-third up sides of each cup. Spoon egg mixture evenly over dough in muffin cups. Top egg mixture with remaining dough, pressing to edges to seal.
4. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Note: To reheat leftover biscuits, wrap in a paper towel and microwave in 15-second intervals until warm.
Yummy Yogurt Breakfast Banana Splits
Makes 4 servings
4 bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 (32-ounce) container vanilla yogurt
2 cups hulled halved fresh strawberries
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 cups honey and oat granola
1 cup honey
Garnish: sliced almonds
1. Place 2 banana halves in each of 4 serving dishes. Top each banana with 1 cup yogurt and 1⁄2 cup each strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and granola. Drizzle each with 1⁄4 cup honey. Garnish with almonds, if desired. Serve immediately.
Egg and Cheese Bagel Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings
4 teaspoons butter, divided
8 large eggs, divided
1/4 cup milk, divided
4 everything bagels, halved
4 slices Canadian bacon
4 slices American cheese
1. In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat until melted and foamy. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon milk. Pour egg mixture into pan, and cook for 30 seconds. Using a spatula, gently lift edges and tilt pan so uncooked portion flows underneath. Cook for 5 minutes longer or until center is set. Fold egg mixture into quarters; remove from pan, and keep warm.
2. Repeat process with remaining butter, eggs, and milk.
3. Meanwhile, toast bagel halves, and keep warm. Microwave Canadian bacon on HIGH for 25 seconds or until hot. On bottom half of toasted bagels, layer Canadian bacon, eggs, cheese, and bagel top. Serve immediately.
For more recipes like these, click here to subscribe to Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.
Content provided by Cooking with Paula Deen magazine/Hoffman Media.
Read More From Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!