When I was a child, eating in a restaurant was a treat reserved for weekends or special events. Today, more and more people eat out on a regular basis. Regardless of whether you dine out frequently or rarely, a restaurant is the perfect place to practice your best manners.
1. Be kind to your waiter. Use “please” and “thank you” to acknowledge your server’s help. Do not be demanding to your server and do not ask any personal questions. Remember, by showing respect, you also gain it.
2. Control the noise level at your table; there are others dining around you.
3. Try not to stare around the restaurant: Your attention should be focused on those at your table and their conversations.
4. When entering and leaving a restaurant, do not “visit” too long with acquaintances at surrounding tables. They are trying to enjoy their dinners, and a long interruption can be annoying.
5. Know the dress code of the dining establishment and follow it.
6. Wait until the waiter serves everyone at your table before beginning to eat. Should there be an unusual delay in food service, it is perfectly acceptable for someone to suggest that other diners begin so that their meals do not get cold.
7. It is totally unacceptable to use a toothpick at the table or in public. Please solve this problem in private.
8. If you leave the table, excuse yourself. An explanation is not necessary.
9. Good posture at the table is a must: Sit up straight and keep your elbows off the table.
10. Once you pick up a piece of silverware, place it on your
plate. Never put it back on the table.
11. Do not move a plate out of the way or hand it to the server
when you have finished. It is the waiter’s job to remove the dishes.
Remember, good manners are just common sense. Whether you are at home or out, practicing everyday courtesies will make every dining experience positive and enriching. If you follow basic dining etiquette at home, you and your family will be totally prepared for any restaurant experience.
Again, thanks for reading.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula at DuBois Furniture in Waco, TX for a book signing and meet and greet from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Come see Paula’s live show at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center in Charlotte, NC and get a heaping helping of Paula’s recipes, and some good old-fashioned fun and laughter!
Tickets available from Blumenthal Performing Arts Center here!
VIP MEET AND GREET
Starts at 5:30 PM. Light hors d’oeuvres and beer & wine will be served, including a meet and greet with Paula Deen!
Sponsored by Springer Mountain Farms.
Join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.