I vaguely remember life before the cell phone. I have become very dependent upon this remarkable little device. It allows me to keep up with my husband and children; it assists me when I need directions or when I have a last minute change of plans. It also gives me peace of mind because I can confirm my teenage son has reached his destination safely. My husband is a physician, and this little hand-held apparatus even helps him attend to immediate medical situations.
However, this advance in technology comes at a price: We forget to enjoy the peace around us—and respect the peace of others. Many of us neglect the phone manners our mothers taught us during the age of landlines. Here is a refresher course on mobile phone manners to make life more tolerable in the digital age.
1. Never use a cell phone during mealtime. This should be a time when families are reconnecting, not texting about homework or weekend plans. Just carve out this time for your family. Whether at home or dining out, it is just best to put your phone away.
2. Do not use your phone in close proximity to another person. Your voice is usually elevated while speaking on the small gadget, and it is annoying to people close to you. This certainly applies to the waiting rooms in doctors’ and dentists’ offices, or any intimate space.
3. Avoid personal topics in public. Discussing your medical or family matters in public is not appropriate and can be offensive to others.
4. Try not to check your text messages during time out with family and friends. Texting is a wonderful alternative if you are in a crowded situation, but try to avoid it while in a face-to-face conversation with another person. PLEASE DO NOT TEXT WHILE DRIVING!!
5. If you are in a conversation with others and must take a call, excuse yourself or ask for permission.
6. Cellular conversations should be short and to the point. Wait until you are home to catch up with friends about their weekend activities.
7. Please do not use your cell phone while trying to conduct business in public. If you are at the bank, grocery store checkout or dry cleaners, put down the phone and finish your transaction. The employee, and those waiting behind you, will appreciate this courtesy.
These are my own personal suggestions. I would love to hear yours!
As always, thanks for reading.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!