My 27th wedding anniversary is next month, and I am pondering a way to make it special without it being extravagant. At this point in our lives, my husband and I really enjoy just spending a night at home with a good meal and time to reflect on our life together.
It is actually easy to have a relaxing date night at home and still make it romantic and a bit different. If you have the right menu—one that is as easy as it is good—it just takes a few extra ideas to make the evening memorable.
1. Prepare your meal ahead of time. A simple meal with a special appetizer will limit cleanup.
2. Select a new place to enjoy your date. Perhaps you can set up a card table in a different part of the house or on your patio. The right tablecloth, flowers and candles will transform the ordinary into extraordinary. And, be sure to use your wedding china to really enhance the sentimentality of the occasion. Select some of your favorite music to set the tone of the night.
3. Dress to impress! It is actually fun to dress up in your own home, and it really sets an elegant mood.
4. Get things off to the right start with a special (but simple) appetizer and a glass of bubbly.
5. Pull out your wedding album or video. It is always fun to share happy memories with your spouse.
6. Consider making or ordering a very small wedding cake for dessert.
7. I do not believe that the focus of the occasion is a gift, but it is fun to follow the traditional anniversary suggestions. You can find a list of some gifts from the kitchen by clicking here. Also, a sweet card or note is always a good choice.
I would like to share my special appetizer recipe that I will be serving prior to my anniversary dinner. It is simple and can be prepared ahead of any event. It is one of my husband’s favorites.
12 pitted dates
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
6 strips of bacon, cut in half
12 small wooden picks or skewers
Put softened cheese into a pastry bag or use a small spoon to stuff each date with cheese. Wrap a half-piece of bacon around each stuffed date and secure with a wooden pick. Broil in the oven until the bacon is cooked (about 10 minutes). You may prepare earlier in the day and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook and serve.
Whether you are a newlywed or celebrating your golden anniversary, it is nice to stop and appreciate your spouse and the life that you have created.
As always, thanks for reading.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula at DuBois Furniture in Waco, TX for a book signing and meet and greet from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Come see Paula’s live show at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center in Charlotte, NC and get a heaping helping of Paula’s recipes, and some good old-fashioned fun and laughter!
Tickets available from Blumenthal Performing Arts Center here!
VIP MEET AND GREET
Starts at 5:30 PM. Light hors d’oeuvres and beer & wine will be served, including a meet and greet with Paula Deen!
Sponsored by Springer Mountain Farms.
Join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.