My 27th wedding anniversary is next month, and I am pondering a way to make it special without it being extravagant. At this point in our lives, my husband and I really enjoy just spending a night at home with a good meal and time to reflect on our life together.
It is actually easy to have a relaxing date night at home and still make it romantic and a bit different. If you have the right menu—one that is as easy as it is good—it just takes a few extra ideas to make the evening memorable.
1. Prepare your meal ahead of time. A simple meal with a special appetizer will limit cleanup.
2. Select a new place to enjoy your date. Perhaps you can set up a card table in a different part of the house or on your patio. The right tablecloth, flowers and candles will transform the ordinary into extraordinary. And, be sure to use your wedding china to really enhance the sentimentality of the occasion. Select some of your favorite music to set the tone of the night.
3. Dress to impress! It is actually fun to dress up in your own home, and it really sets an elegant mood.
4. Get things off to the right start with a special (but simple) appetizer and a glass of bubbly.
5. Pull out your wedding album or video. It is always fun to share happy memories with your spouse.
6. Consider making or ordering a very small wedding cake for dessert.
7. I do not believe that the focus of the occasion is a gift, but it is fun to follow the traditional anniversary suggestions. You can find a list of some gifts from the kitchen by clicking here. Also, a sweet card or note is always a good choice.
I would like to share my special appetizer recipe that I will be serving prior to my anniversary dinner. It is simple and can be prepared ahead of any event. It is one of my husband’s favorites.
12 pitted dates
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
6 strips of bacon, cut in half
12 small wooden picks or skewers
Put softened cheese into a pastry bag or use a small spoon to stuff each date with cheese. Wrap a half-piece of bacon around each stuffed date and secure with a wooden pick. Broil in the oven until the bacon is cooked (about 10 minutes). You may prepare earlier in the day and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook and serve.
Whether you are a newlywed or celebrating your golden anniversary, it is nice to stop and appreciate your spouse and the life that you have created.
As always, thanks for reading.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!