Everyone expects to see cranberry sauce and turkey at the Thanksgiving meal, but won’t they be surprised to find it back on the table for dessert? Before you balk at the idea of turkey in a dessert, consider other savory and sweet combinations that work: honey-glazed ham, duck with cherry sauce, and bacon with just about anything.
These cupcakes are baked directly in slices of turkey – no cupcake liners are needed! When baked, the turkey slices get hard and chewy and become a perfect shell for the small cakes. The cupcakes themselves are loaded with cranberries and they are topped with a decadent maple buttercream frosting. For extra maple flavor and an elegant look, the cupcakes may be dusted with maple sugar.
Turkey Cranberry Cupcakes
Makes about 18 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup plain yogurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cranberry sauce
1 cup dried cranberries
18 thinly sliced pieces of turkey
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Beat eggs, yogurt, and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
5. Mix in cranberry sauce.
6. Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
7. Fold in dried cranberries
8. Place one slice of turkey in each well of the cupcake tin. Often, turkey slices will have small holes in them; make sure that any holes in the slices are not at the bottom or sides of the cupcake tin.
9. Spoon batter into the turkey, as shown in the photo.
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you put this recipe into a normal cupcake liner sans turkey, it will bake in about 30 minutes.
Maple Buttercream Frosting
Note: Depending on how fat a swirl you want on your cupcakes, you may need to double this recipe.
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup maple syrup
1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in maple syrup
Stefani Pollack is the author of the popular cupcake blog, Cupcake Project. While she loves simple chocolate cupcakes, Stefani prefers creative cupcakes inspired by her favorite flavor combinations. She encourages her readers to branch out and experiment in the kitchen. Why cupcakes? They bring out the kid in us! Visit Stefani at www.cupcakeproject.com
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula at DuBois Furniture in Waco, TX for a book signing and meet and greet from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Come see Paula’s live show at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center in Charlotte, NC and get a heaping helping of Paula’s recipes, and some good old-fashioned fun and laughter!
Tickets available from Blumenthal Performing Arts Center here!
VIP MEET AND GREET
Starts at 5:30 PM. Light hors d’oeuvres and beer & wine will be served, including a meet and greet with Paula Deen!
Sponsored by Springer Mountain Farms.
Join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.