The courtship has finally culminated in a proposal and the bride is super busy with all of the plans that lead up to a wedding. One of her tasks is selecting the special group that will stand by her side on her big day: her bridesmaids.
There is no “perfect” number. Some brides just choose one or two close friends or family members, but I have seen as many as a dozen bridesmaids at a wedding.
It is a very personal decision, and a bride must take into account several things to select the perfect group.
1. Relationship. A bridesmaid must be special like a sister, cousin, roommate or just very close friend.
2. Expense.With the cost of the dress, shoes, wedding gift and travel to the event it can be very expensive to be a bridesmaid. Keeping this in mind is important because it may limit the number of attendants that you will ask.
3. Time. Bridesmaids have to make the time to attend the wedding and pre-wedding parties and showers, which can be difficult if many of your festivities are out of town.
Once the bride has settled on the special group that will surround and support her at her wedding, she must decide how she will ask each one. Today there are so many clever ways to “pop the question.”
1. Card, poem or letter. This can be elaborate or simple. A bride can use store-bought cards to invite each woman to be a bridesmaid; however, an old-fashioned personal letter would do the trick and be a keepsake for years to come.
2. Cookie. Whether you make it yourself or purchase custom cookies,
your bridesmaids will always remember a baked treat.
3. Special gift. A recent bride told me that she put together a “bridesmaids prep kit” complete with Fashion Tape, breath mints and a bottle of nail polish.
By coming up with a clever “proposal,” you are setting the tone for a special event, not only for you, but also for your closest friends. The big day is really about you and your new life, but others will commit their time and funds to it, so make sure they know how much you treasure them.
Wishing you the happiest of wedding days surrounded by the ones you love.
As always, thanks for reading.
Planning your special day? Here’s some other helpful reading!
The Best Wedding Guests
A Blueprint for Your Big Day
Effortless Wedding Wishlist
Are Thank-You Notes Still Relevant?
How to Respond to an Invitation
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula for a book signing/meet & greet from 11:00 – 2:00 at Wolf Furniture in Hagerstown, MD.
Friday, May 9th starting at 6:30 pm at the Downstream Casino Pavilion. Admission: $100 per person; $60 per person for auction only. Limited seating available. Purchase tickets online. Proceeds benefit The Bag Lady Foundation.
Join Paula for tea and conversation at St. Mark Catholic Church, Richmond, KY. Get tickets online.
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary, come join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons on Friday, June 13th from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!