The courtship has finally culminated in a proposal and the bride is super busy with all of the plans that lead up to a wedding. One of her tasks is selecting the special group that will stand by her side on her big day: her bridesmaids.
There is no “perfect” number. Some brides just choose one or two close friends or family members, but I have seen as many as a dozen bridesmaids at a wedding.
It is a very personal decision, and a bride must take into account several things to select the perfect group.
1. Relationship. A bridesmaid must be special like a sister, cousin, roommate or just very close friend.
2. Expense.With the cost of the dress, shoes, wedding gift and travel to the event it can be very expensive to be a bridesmaid. Keeping this in mind is important because it may limit the number of attendants that you will ask.
3. Time. Bridesmaids have to make the time to attend the wedding and pre-wedding parties and showers, which can be difficult if many of your festivities are out of town.
Once the bride has settled on the special group that will surround and support her at her wedding, she must decide how she will ask each one. Today there are so many clever ways to “pop the question.”
1. Card, poem or letter. This can be elaborate or simple. A bride can use store-bought cards to invite each woman to be a bridesmaid; however, an old-fashioned personal letter would do the trick and be a keepsake for years to come.
2. Cookie. Whether you make it yourself or purchase custom cookies,
your bridesmaids will always remember a baked treat.
3. Special gift. A recent bride told me that she put together a “bridesmaids prep kit” complete with Fashion Tape, breath mints and a bottle of nail polish.
By coming up with a clever “proposal,” you are setting the tone for a special event, not only for you, but also for your closest friends. The big day is really about you and your new life, but others will commit their time and funds to it, so make sure they know how much you treasure them.
Wishing you the happiest of wedding days surrounded by the ones you love.
As always, thanks for reading.
Planning your special day? Here’s some other helpful reading!
The Best Wedding Guests
A Blueprint for Your Big Day
Effortless Wedding Wishlist
Are Thank-You Notes Still Relevant?
How to Respond to an Invitation
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!