Now that the weather is warming up and the flowers are starting to bloom, it’s time to take advantage of the great outdoors. There’s no better way to spend a beautiful spring day than with a picnic. These recipes can be prepared at home and easily packed up to take with you. So grab your cooler and picnic blanket, and enjoy these delicious spring recipes!
Makes 12 servings
6 large eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cherry tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
Salt and pepper
Additional crumbled bacon (optional)
1. Halve eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks and place in a small bowl. Mash yolks with a fork and stir in mayonnaise, bacon, tomatoes, and parsley until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Fill egg whites evenly with yolk mixture. Garnish with bacon, if desired. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 6 servings
2 pounds large Cajun steamed shrimp
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 (18-ounce) package sub rolls, split
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1. Peel and devein shrimp; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients; set aside.
3. Spread cut side of sub rolls evenly with softened butter. Broil roll halves, butter side up, 5 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Spread prepared sauce evenly over toasted bread. Place shrimp and lettuce on bottom halves of rolls; cover with roll tops.
Makes 8 - 10 servings
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups cubed cantaloupe
2 cups halved green grapes
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
1. In a serving bowl, combine blueberries, cantaloupe, grapes, and strawberries.
2. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and lemon juice at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth.
3. In a separate medium bowl, beat cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until slightly thickened. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Gently fold into cream cheese mixture; spread over fruit. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 - 6 servings
3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
1/2 cup shelled fresh English peas*
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup thinly sliced fennel
1/3 cup thinly sliced radishes
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a large saucepan, cook peas, in batches, in boiling salted water to cover for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove peas, and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add peas, fennel, and radishes, tossing to coat. Sprinkle cheese over salad. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Note: Thawed frozen English peas may be substituted for fresh. Add during the last 30 seconds of boiling time.
Makes 8 dozen
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 drop red food coloring
1. In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Separate dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a smooth log. Wrap each log in flour-dusted wax paper. Chill dough for at least 6 hours. After six hours, allow dough to sit out for 15 minutes to soften.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease baking sheets.
3. Slice dough into 1/4-inch slices and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool cookies on wire racks.
4. In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pipe or dollop a small amount on top of cooled cookies.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join the Deen Family for a Book Signing at The Lady & Sons from 10 am to 12 pm.
The event is free; 350 wristbands to be distributed starting at 9 am.
Come see Paula’s live show at the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio, TX and get a heaping helping of Paula’s recipes, and some good old-fashioned fun and laughter!
Visit TicketMaster for ticketing information.
Sponsored by Springer Mountain Farms.
Come see Paula’s live show at the Lucas Theatre in Savannah, GA and get a heaping helping of Paula’s recipes, and some good old-fashioned fun and laughter!
Visit the the Savannah Box Office or call 912-525-5050 for tickets.
Sponsored by Springer Mountain Farms.