College football season kicks off soon, and we bet you’ll be doing some tailgating. Here’s a yummy menu of portable treats that can all be prepared in advance and assembled the day of the game.
Chili-Lime Southwest Wraps
Makes 14 servings
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained well
1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 (15.25-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained well
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
7 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lime juice, and chili powder. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, beans, corn, and cilantro. Spoon chicken mixture into center of tortillas. Roll up tortillas, and cut in half. Secure with cotton string or wooden picks, if desired.
Note: Prepare the chicken mixture a day ahead, and store, covered, in refrigerator. Assemble wraps the day of the tailgate.
Barbecue Snack Mix
Makes about 18 cups
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 (1-ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
4 cups corn-and-rice cereal*
4 cups corn cereal squares*
3 cups bite-size Cheddar cheese crackers*
3 cups baked snack crackers*
3 cups pretzel twists
1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
1. Preheat oven to 250°.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and next 7 ingredients. In a large roasting pan, combine cereals and all remaining ingredients. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, tossing to coat.
3. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour or until crispy. Spread mixture in a single layer on wax paper to cool. Store in airtight containers for up to 1 week.
*We used Crispix and Corn Chex cereals, Cheez-Its, and Wheat Thins Original Crackers.
Makes about 2 dozen
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange extract
2 teaspoons orange zest, divided
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt. Add butter, eggs, extract, and 1 teaspoon zest, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown and set. Remove from oven, and pierce cake all over with a fork.
4. In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon zest until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
For more recipes like these, click here to subscribe to Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.
Content provided by Cooking with Paula Deen magazine/Hoffman Media.Read More From Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine.
My Recipe Box | Log in to view
Join Paula, Bobby and Jamie for a book signing at the Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah from 2 to 4 pm. Only 350 tickets will be given out starting 1 hour before the book signing. No cameras permitted; a professional photographer will be on site to take your photo.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea to the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten - roundtrip from Miami) aboard the Celebrity Reflection presented by Alice Travel. Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel. We are running out of space, so book as soon as possible!
Paula Deen is coming to Buffalo, NY to perform a live cooking show and let VIP ticket holders enjoy a delicious Southern feast with a menu created by Paula herself! Both events will be held at Samuel’s Grand Manner in Williamsville, NY which offers a refined elegance in a classically modern setting. The VIP lunch will be held at 12:00pm on February 8th and will go until approximately 2:00pm (doors will open at 11:30am). The lunch will include a hearty helping of Southern style cuisine which is personally selected by Paula, a Southern Cooking Bible cookbook, a photo op with Paula where she will also be signing autographs, a gift package, and preferred seating at that evenings cooking show! The cooking show will begin at 3:00pm on February 8th and run about 60 minutes long (doors will open at 2:15pm). Paula will be cooking up some of her favorite meals live for you at Samuel’s Grand Manor! Seating is unreserved and is “first come, first served”.
Click here for tickets.
Join Paula and family for a Party at Sea aboard Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel (roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale) presented by Alice Travel. We will be having special, separate events for kids on this one with Jack Deen hosting the kids program! Click here for more information, and please note that the Paula Deen cruise is only available by booking directly with Alice Travel Book now before the prices start going up on the cruise and air!